Lee Middle School Teacher Arrested After Allegedly Ordering Student to Slap Classmate
A sixth-grade teacher at Lee Middle School has been arrested after investigators say she instructed a student to slap a classmate during class.
According to the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office, 64-year-old Judith Clark was arrested May 19 and charged with child abuse without great bodily harm following an investigation into an incident that allegedly occurred on May 13 inside a classroom at the school.
Detectives said the investigation began after deputies learned about the incident the following day and interviewed students and school staff. Investigators allege Clark repeatedly told a student to stop talking during class before asking the room, “Who wants to slap him?”
Witnesses told deputies that when no students volunteered and the student began talking again, Clark repeated the question a second time.
Investigators said Clark then instructed two students to close the classroom window blinds before directing another student to strike the victim.
According to the sheriff’s office, the student complied and gently slapped the victim across the face with an open hand. During interviews with detectives, the 12-year-old student who carried out the slap reportedly said he was afraid of disobeying Clark’s instructions. Authorities said the student will not face criminal charges.
School administrators removed Clark from the classroom following the incident, and officials said she has had no further contact with students.
The School District of Manatee County confirmed Clark had been employed at Lee Middle School since 2019. District officials also stated her contract had already been non-renewed on April 8, with May 29 scheduled as her final day of employment.
In a statement released following the arrest, the district said, “This incident is deeply concerning and does not reflect the standards or expectations we have for our employees. This arrest follows a collaborative investigation involving the School District, the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office, and Child Protective Services. The District contacted the Department of Children and Families after receiving information on May 14, 2026.”
The statement continued, “The safety and well-being of our students remain our highest priority. We are committed to providing a safe, positive, and supportive learning environment for all students, and the actions described in this case are not aligned with that commitment we uphold in our schools.”
District officials also stated they will continue working with law enforcement and child welfare agencies as the investigation moves forward.

